Learn all the skills you need to design, create and manage a forest garden through our five month accredited online course. It features the videos of Martin Crawford, author of several books on forest gardening and director of the Agroforestry Research Trust. The course is structured, and includes weekly videos, handouts and online assessments, plus fortnightly group tutorials, leading you to qualify for a Level 2 Award in Forest Gardening.
The Orchard Project has developed this course in collaboration with Martin Crawford; it is accredited by the Crossfields Institute.
The course requires around 6-8 hours of your time per fortnight, over a five month period. This includes watching the videos, reading the handouts, attending the group tutorials with your fellow students, and doing the homework.
It consists of 18 weekly teaching videos with accompanying handouts. The online materials are unlocked as you make your way through. We will discuss the content of the videos at fortnightly online tutorials. Your progress will be assessed via online quizzes and homework, which you will have a fortnight to complete. You will also have an assignment to design a forest garden, which our staff will assess.
The tutorials take place approximately every two weeks, and will be just over an hour long.
This course will teach you everything you need to know about designing, planting and maintaining a forest garden, including:
- The characteristics of a forest garden
- Useful trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants
- Creating windbreaks and shelter
- Managing different soils
- Maintaining fertility
- The role of mycorrhizal fungi
- Carrying out a site survey
- Propagating plants and edible fungi
- Designing the different layers of a forest garden
- Maintaining a forest garden.
Some comments from previous students:
“I am really enjoying the course so far, its opening up an avenue of interest for me.”
“The course is excellent!”
For more information, or to find out when our next course will run, contact Jo Homan.
Policies related to this course:
- Staff Induction Training CPD Policy August 2021
- Recognition Of Prior Learning Policy July 2021
- Reasonable Adjustments and Special Considerations Policy July 2021
- Malpractice and Maladministration Policy July 2021
- Learner Complaints And Appeals Policy July 2021
- Learner Admission And Recruitment Policy August 2021
- Internal Quality Assurance Policy August 2021
- Data Protection Policy September 2020
- Conflict Of Interest Policy July 2021
- Assessment Policy August 2021