Learn all the skills you need to design, create and manage a forest garden through our six month accredited online course. It features the videos of Martin Crawford, author of several books on forest gardening and director of the Agroforestry Research Trust. The course is structured, and includes videos, handouts and online assessments, plus regular group tutorials, leading you to qualify for a Level 2 Award in Forest Gardening.
The Orchard Project has developed this course in collaboration with Martin Crawford; it is accredited by the Crossfields Institute.
The course requires around 8 hours of your time per fortnight, over a six month period, this includes watching the 20 teaching videos, reading the handouts, attending the group tutorials with your fellow students, and doing the homework.
There will be seven online tutorials which will take place via Zoom. The sessions will be run by friendly tutors and also feature expert forest garden or permaculture presenters. This is your chance to ask any questions you have about the course content and to have discussions with your fellow students.
The tutorials will be an hour and a half hour long and take place in the evening from 7pm – 8.30pm.
Course work includes 14 pieces of homework and 11 assessed quizzes. Homework will be set fortnightly.
This course will teach you everything you need to know about designing, planting and maintaining a forest garden, including:
- Forest garden characteristics
- Windbreaks and shelter
- Managing different soils
- Maintaining fertility
- The role of mycorrhizal fungi
- Carrying out a site survey
- Useful trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants
- Designing the different layers of a forest garden
- Maintaining a forest garden.
- Propagating plants and edible fungi
Some comments from previous students:
“I am really enjoying the course so far, its opening up an avenue of interest for me.”
“The course is excellent!”
For more information, or to find out when our next course will run, contact Sarah Mason.
Policies related to this course:
- Staff Induction Training CPD Policy August 2023
- Recognition Of Prior Learning Policy July 2023
- Reasonable Adjustments and Special Considerations Policy July 2023
- Assessment Policy, July 2023
- Malpractice and Maladministration Policy July 2023
- Learner Appeals Policy July 2023
- Learner Complaints Policy July 2023
- Learner Admission And Recruitment Policy August 2023
- Internal Quality Assurance Policy Nov 2023
- Assessment & Training Policy Nov 2023
- Plagiarism Policy July 2023
- Transfers and Cancellations Policy August 2023
- Data Protection Policy September 2020
- Conflict Of Interest Policy July 2023
- Anti-harassment and bullying Policy 2022
- Health and Safety Policy, 2023
- Equal Opportunities and Diverisity Policy, June 2023