Helping Britain Blossom is working with communities all over Leeds for our city to become an “Orchard City”. We are looking to recruit a handful of volunteer “Orchard Mentors” to support orchard groups and their trees to be healthy and happy.
Each Mentor will have their own individual mix of experience in helping orchards and orchard groups flourish. They will support 3-5 community orchards in their area by visiting and by phone, email or social media. We don’t expect you to be an expert in everything, just competent in some orcharding skills. After your induction there will be optional (and free) courses to increase your all round skills. Passion and a willingness to learn and practice is also important.
We will match Mentors to particular orchard tasks that they feel confident in, and in line with their skills progress through training.
What’s in it for me?
- Reimbursement for travel to and from orchard visits. And for phone expenses.
- Support, encouragement and feedback from Helping Britain Blossom, Leeds Project Manager, including fact sheets, problem-solving, help in finding orchards to support, social get-togethers, mentoring.
- Part of a small supportive community of other Orchard Mentors.
- Free access to courses.
- Occasional study trips to orchards of interest.
- Basic kit: secateurs, pruning saw, gloves, some Helping Britain Blossom clothing.
- The unique opportunity to hone and develop your skills in a range of community orchard settings
- The chance to make a real difference to budding orchard communities around Leeds.
What we need from you
- Willingness to make a 12 month commitment to being trained as an Orchard Mentor.
- 30 hours time commitment over the next year. This may include phone calls, emails, online interaction, attendance at training sessions etc. Not including time spent training.
- Provide support to between 3-5 community orchards in your area, both on-site and remotely. This will include advice on pruning, watering, and organic tree care.
- Collecting basic information on the health of the trees and groups so we can monitor progress – and decide where help is most needed!
If you are interested please fill in this short form and Alan Thornton, the Helping Britain Blossom, Leeds Project Manager, will be in touch soon. .