It’s harvest time, so reap the rewards of the fruits of your labour! The mature trees should be laden with fruit so go prepared with bags and hungry friends.
Think about all the tasty things you’ll be able to do with the crop – the list really is endless but here’s a few things to get you started:
- Apple and pear juice and smoothies
- Fruit pies
- Stock your larder with delicious apple sauce, jams and jellies
- Make cider or perry (pears)
- Apple bobbing and peeling competitions*
- Invite local children to taste the fruit straight from the tree
- Invite local artists and musicians to celebrate with you in your local orchard*
*This was published pre-pandemic. So please adhere to the current Government guidelines on social gatherings.
Apple Day Celebrations are held UK-wide around October 21st and celebrate the local distinctiveness of places and their traditional fruit varieties and customs. It’s a great chance to try new varieties, talk to experienced growers, and eat lots and lots of apple pie!
What’s ready to pick?
Cox’s Orange Pippin