Saturday 15th January 2022 12.30 - 3.30pm
Hainault Forest Country Park (Picnic area on Fox Burrow Road)
Join us in January for a Wassail in Hainault Forest Country Park. All welcome!
A Wassail is a traditional orchard celebration with music and hot drinks to awaken the fruit trees from their winter slumber and encourage a good harvest.
- Tree care workshop (mulching the trees woodchip) for all ages from 12noon.
- Two craft workshops for children with Tinder Sticks (making musical instruments and apple puppets!) at 12.30pm and 1.30pm. These must be booked here
- Wassail parade with Wassail Queen and King around 3pm
- Hot mulled apple juice and cider round the fire
- Traditional wassail songs
- If you fancy, decorate yourselves with some ivy, leaves and feathers and bring along something to make a noise like a musical instrument or a pot and spoon to scare away the bad spirits and awaken the fruit trees!
Meet in the picnic area near the cottages on Fox Burrow Road (next to Fox Burrow Farm). We will be outdoors so dress appropriately for the weather.
About Tinder Sticks:
‘Join Tinder Sticks in the woods and create natural noise makers and beautiful apple puppets (which can be hung in your garden after and will feed the birds) ready for the procession through the orchard to ward off the spirits and ensure a bumper crop of apples next autumn. Activities are aimed at age 3 and above and all children must be accompanied by an adult throughout.’