Saturday 22nd October
Ordsall Hall Salford
Ordsall Hall – Apple Day & Pie Contest
After popular demand we’re returning once more to Ordsall Hall for an even bigger and better Apple Day Celebration. This family friendly afternoon will play host to a myriad of orchard related activities.
FOR TICKETS CLICK HERE
– We’ll have apple tasting in the Great Hall with rare, local and heritage varieties to try… yummy!
– Will you win our ‘The Longest Peel’ competition outside in the orchard.
– Meet our friends from ‘City of Trees’ and let them know your favourite tree stories for their lottery funded Heritage Trees project and sample how much better their spiralizer makes apples taste.
– Jonny Woodhams will be there to entertain your kids with his gypsy caravan and fruit themed stories.
– Our professional facepainter will adorn your kids with butterflies, bees and orchard critters. Afterall “it’s the pollen from the bees that help to pollinate the trees.”
– Pedal like crazy on #PedalPedalSquishSquish to help us make fresh pressed juice.
– Or enter our Pie Contest as part of Salford Food Fortnight – with two categories ‘Under 18s’ and ‘Over 18s’ you and your granny could go head-to-head to compete for our £100 prize fund. Ts & Cs apply – see below.
Entrants must be available to pick up their ingredient packs and aprons prior to the event, either in the days running up to the event from Ordsall Hall, during their standard opening times, or on the morning or the event. See below for more details.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1) Under 18’s may compete if registering with a parent, carer or guardian. Please use the assigned adult as the reference. A family unit or group of up to 4 people may enter as one entry. Please nominate a baking leader, they must be over 18.
2) Only one entrant/party per household
3) You will be provided with a bag of organic (where possible) ingredients and basic recipe instructions. Vegan alternatives may be included upon request.
Our basic packs include: Baking apples, butter, sugar, eggs, a lemon and cinnamon. We encourage you to embellish/add to your recipe. Please place any additional ingredients on the entrance sheet provided. – The winning pie last year used quince… oooh fancy!
4) You must be available to pick up your ingredient pack from Ordsall Hall on one of the following days:
Thursday 19th October 10am -4pm
Friday 20st 10am – 4pm
Saturday 21st – CLOSED
Sunday 22nd – 10am – 12pm*
*Prior to main event opening at 1pm.
5) Entrants will need to return with a finished baked pie on or before 3:15pm and be available for judging and prize giving until 5:00pm – Please allow for Travel Times, you may bake your pie the day before.
6) You must have access to a kitchen space to participate, unfortunately we do not have the ability to bake your pie on site.
7) You bake at home/with a neighbour under your own supervision.
8) On your entrance sheet please give your pie a name. This may be based on your family name, the additional ingredients used or something relating to Salford. There will be a prize for the best named pie.
9) Your finished baked pie must be returned to Ordsall Hall by 3:15 pm. Pies arriving after this time will be disqualified. You may bake the pie the day before if picking up your ingredient packs in advance, just try to avoid a soggy bottom!
10) Judge’s decision is final.
11) The Orchard Project reserve the right to change these terms and conditions at short notice.
12) Entrants must be willing to participate in photography/filming on the day and may be required to give quotes for such purposes.
13) You will be added to The Orchard Project mailing lists. This will keep you updated with events and activities that relate to community orchards across Greater Manchester.
14) Any activity that relates to this event which is hosted within the designated venue Hall will be insured by The Orchard Project provided a Helping Britain Blossom Project Manager is present. Therefore activity that happens outside of the venue will not be covered by The Orchard Project insurance. Please make sure that you put measures in place to safeguard your safety and anyone else who is involved in activities within your home and/or any other activities that relate to the event outside of the designated venue.
15) No soggy bottoms. Nobody likes a soggy bottom!
16) In each category you’re prize is a trolley dash at Cooksmill – www.cooksmill.co.uk – up to the value of £100. This will be arranged at a convenient time and you’ll be accompanied by a member of the Helping Britain Blossom team.